Re: More DTD trick questions: DIR/MENU vs OL/UL, PCDATA vs CDATA

From: Peter Flynn <pflynn@imbolc.ucc.ie>
Date: 24 Aug 1997 13:52:00 +0100
To: estephen@emf.net
Cc: www-html@w3.org
   While I'm questioning the DTD, why is there [1]:

   <!ELEMENT (DIR|MENU) - -  (LI)+ -(%blocklevel)>
				   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
   Why does this need to be excluded?

Because MENU and DIR were originally intended to hold simple list
items containing PCDATA (and inline elements) ONLY, and no other
structural markup. For more extensive structural markup, OL and UL
and DL were provided.

   <MENU><LI><P>Item</MENU>
   is illegal but
   <OL><LI><P>Item</OL>
   is okay?  Why?

For the reason I've given: DIR and MENU were designed for trivial use,
not complex use.

   I also want to repeat Jeni Tennison's question of 18-Aug-97,
   that shouldn't INS and DEL allow %block instead of %inline?

No reason, I guess.

   And while I'm asking questions...where are the differences
   between PCDATA and CDATA defined?

ISO 8879 :-)

///Peter