Re: Disturbing IE 4.0pp2 behavior for lang="en"

Martin J. Dürst <mduerst@ifi.unizh.ch> wrote:
>Sorry to bug you again: Are the "'" legal? They are not necessary.

You're right!  That is strange that I'm putting quotes there.  According
to the example in the HTML 4.0 draft (1] it isn't quoted, so I doubt it's
legal for me to do so.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-html40/struct/global.html#h-7.1.3.2
    (near the end)

I'm not sure where I got these quotes from; I didn't put them in
there consciously.  Probably it was from some Web site where I was
copying and pasting examples from.

> Anyway, this does not affect the rest of the example, which is
> really frightening.

Yes, I tested both ways; as you have surmised, the bug is present
no matter what the meta tag says.  (I suspect that IE ignores this
charset parameter, since I've never seen an example where it
accomplished anything.)

Fortunately, the version of IE that is exhibiting such
a distastrous side effect to the LANG attribute is still a beta
release (4.0pp2 on Windows 95), so it can be corrected before the
final release (rumored to be at the end of September).

Let's act fast to kill this bug!  In addition to writing Microsoft (as
I hope Misha will as well), I want to make sure that Netscape doesn't
make the same mistake (assuming they ever plan on implementing the LANG
attribute), so I will write Netscape as well.
--
E. Stephen Mack <estephen@emf.net>    http://www.emf.net/~estephen/