Re: THEAD & TFOOT for columns

   At 1:10p -0400 08/16/97, Jordan Reiter wrote:

    > There is no real reason why HTML *shouldn't* allow Horizontal
    > scrolling.  The fact that it doesn't exist simply reinforces the
    > idea that HTML had a narrow origin.  Let's broaden it, shall we?

Can we please get it right: it's BROWSERS that implement scrolling,
and as far as I know they all allow horizontal scrolling unless they
are fixed-width terminal-style systems.

What you're looking for (if I understand you) is the ability to
typeset text in multiple columns rightwards, rather than downwards.
I've already explained why this is unlikely to succeed (because
Western usage has several thousand years of reading across before
scrolling down).

To make your "pages" run sideways rather than downwards is purely
a piece of browser behaviour, something any competent X hacker should
be able to fit up with perl and tcl/tk in a day or so.

Changes to HTML to support this should be trivial (if any at all): I
just question their necessity.

///Peter