Re: Portrait vs. Landscape (was Re: THEAD & TFOOT for columns)

From: Walter Ian Kaye <walter@natural-innovations.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 16:05:50 -0700
To: www-html@w3.org
At 3:25p -0700 08/15/97, E. Stephen Mack wrote:

 > While HTML itself does not care whether a page scrolls horizontally
 > or vertically, the draft does seem to make the assumption that
 > pags will be scrolled vertically.  For example, there are statements

And there is also the matter of how we read text. Since HTML was designed
without <table>, its constructs were geared toward text. In a mode where
the document were to wrap vertically and scroll horizontally, how would
one read lines of text? It just doesn't work that way (as far as humans
reading is concerned), thus the text wraps horizontally and scrolls
vertically. This is also the way all Word Processors behave -- the words
are wrapped horizontally and the document scrolls vertically. This was
not a paradigm invented just for HTML -- it's simply the way *we* read.