Re: Location marker

At 23:20 +0100 14/8/97, billy dunn wrote:
>I haven't heard anything about a "location" marker or document marker..
>How about (for instance) using zip codes or country codes in the heading of
>primary documents??? I feel that more and more people will want to localize
>searches and know where they are...

Browsers should be able to get this (and more?) information from the URL of
the resource in many cases (e.g. www.psychology.nottingham.ac.uk pins it
down pretty specifically to one particular building in a British
university).

Within documents, there's nothing stopping anyone putting in META elements
within an HTML page to encode physical location, and for robots to pull out
and utilise that information for searches, e.g.

<META NAME="location" CONTENT="Nottingham, UK">
<META NAME="location" CONTENT="San Francisco, California, USA">
<META NAME="location" CONTENT="Spain">

Jeni

Jeni Tennison
Department of Psychology, University of Nottingham
University Park, Nottingham NG7 2RD, UK
tel: +44 (0) 115 951 5151 x8352
fax: +44 (0) 115 951 5361
url: http://www.psychology.nottingham.ac.uk/staff/Jenifer.Tennison/