Re: XMP

On Tue, 12 Aug 1997, Joe English wrote:

> > In data marked with <![CDATA[ ...  the sequence of `]]>' is not allowed
> > and must be escaped.
>
> Actually, since markup recognition is turned off completely
> (except for the terminating delimiter) inside CDATA declared
> content ']]>' *can't* be escaped;
>
> > With a CDATA tag such as <XMP> the sequence of `</'
> > is not allowed and must be escaped.
>
> In fact, since '</' *can't* be escaped, there is *no way at all*
> to include it in an element with CDATA declared content.

Your right about the escaping.  I was thinking about application
specific escaping such as

     <script>
     document.write("<h2>This is _valid_ HTML<\/h2>")
     <script>

Of course, as you point out, there is no way to escape in general.

    <URL:http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/%7Eroconnor/>
"And truth irreversibly destroys the meaning of its own message"
-- Anindita Dutta, "The Paradox of Truth, the Truth of Entropy"