Re: Trademark Entity and Entity Problems in General

At 7:14a +0300 08/10/97, Jonathan Rosenne wrote:
 > At 13:59 09/08/97 -0700, E. Stephen Mack wrote:
 > >> ™
 > >> (you _may_ need to throw in a META declaration of the charset to
 > >> be UTF-8
 > >                                                            ^
 > >                                           missing quote here
 > >
 > >That numerical entity works in Navigator 4 and IE 4 as you say
 > >(even without the meta tag in my tests, but I suppose that may
 > >depend on what your default encoding, font face, and language
 > >settings are).
 >
 > According to the standards, numerical character references are in the
 > document character set, not in the encoding used for transmission. Thus
 > they do not depend on the charset.

At least they shouldn't. Unfortunately, I've reported this problem
to Microsoft more than once, and it has yet to be fixed in MSIE/Mac.
I reported it in 3.0beta and again in 3.0 final; 3.01 still renders
NCRs based on the charset parameter. ::sigh::

And then there are the memory leaks too.

Meanwhile, Mr. Bill gives interviews saying that MS products are
bug-free. And journalists and analysts continue to love Microsoft.

Ah well, at least Explorer doesn't crash quite as much as Navigator.