Re: Whitespace at start of elements

On Tue, 5 Aug 1997, Simon Middleton wrote:

> The question is, if you discard a newline after a start tag and collapse
> whitespace surely the example should become
>
> <P> This example shows a paragraph and a list.
>
> ie a paragraph with a space at the start.

That is how the "big two" render it. But then again the "big two" render a
paragraph differently with an end-tag and without an end-tag, so they're
hardly a reference point...

> Presumably there is some other bit of SGML behaviour that dictates that the
> collapsed whitespace is itself dropped? If so should a note be added because
> as it stands the equating of the two doesn't make sense.

I don't know if it's SGML or HTML-specific, but whitespace after a tag is
deleted, not collapsed.

This DOES pose problems, though. What about whitespace after an inline IMG,
when you might *want* a space to be present? Using an &nbsp; is a hack,
since you might actually want it to be breakable (I love coining
technojargon :))

--
    Stephanos "Pippis" Piperoglou - http://users.hol.gr/~spip/index.html
All I wanted in my life was a little love and a lot of money. In that order.

                                                   ...oof porothika