Re: Using your own DTD (was Re: %flow and headers and address)

Foteos Macrides <MACRIDES@SCI.WFBR.EDU> writes:
[...]
>        I was assuming that Peter would offer his composite DTD for
>public discussion by all interested persons, and would amend it
>toward some consensus of what would be most useful to as many of
>those interested persons as possible, as well as making his own
>judgements based on his expertise in SGML.
[...]
>        A lot of what will be "restored" in it was designed to
>degrade gracefully for clients which do not support it.  But
>using it is presently problematic with respect to validation
>if you also use markup developed since, and not in, the (expired)
>HTML 3.0 DTD.

If you guys decide to go off and rebuild the world outside of W3C, you
should at least consider what you're doing as a/the possible proposal you'd
submit to the IETF in reopening an HTML working group. Then the product of
what you're working on would actually become (theoretically, at least) a
recognized standard. Hey, and you might get participation by a lot of
people willing to provide valuable feedback (such as Earl).

Murray

     Murray Altheim, Program Manager
     Spyglass, Inc., Cambridge, Massachusetts
     email: <mailto:murray@spyglass.com>
     http:  <http://www.cambridge.spyglass.com/murray/murray.html>
            "Give a monkey the tools and he'll eventually build a typewriter."