Using your own DTD (was Re: %flow and headers and address)

In article <01IA33A6ZMNS0090D7@SCI.WFBR.EDU>,
Foteos Macrides <MACRIDES@SCI.WFBR.EDU> wrote:
> if it can, such that any other client could implement any or all
> of it rationally, and any provider could include any combination
> in a document instance and pass that to a validator.

Interesting side-note: suppose I write my documents to adhere to
such a non-official DTD. How can I pass them to a validator if
that validator does not have that DTD available? Can I use the
DOCTYPE declaration to point to the DTD (assuming I put it on the Web)?

I've seen many documents with
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF/DTD HTML 3.0//" "html.dtd">
which is obvious incorrect, but does the last bit imply you can
provide an URL to your own DTD to be used?

Galactus

- --
E-mail: galactus@htmlhelp.com .................... PGP Key: 512/63B0E665
Maintainer of WDG's HTML reference: <http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/>