Re: NAME, REL, REV on A but not AREA

Mary Holstege <holstege@firstfloor.COM> wrote:
>Is there some good reason to have the NAME, REL, and REV attributes
>on the A element but not on the AREA element?  (Wilbur or Cougar draft.)
>I see that Cougar puts TITLE in both places, which makes sense to me.
>In some sense an AREA is just a fancy way of presenting a link, so
>it makes sense that all the link-related attributes should be present in
>both places.

	AREA needs:

        %attrs;     -- id, class, style, lang, dir --
        rel       CDATA   #IMPLIED    -- forward link types --
        rev       CDATA   #IMPLIED    -- reverse link types --

ID is essentially NAME, and comments should indicate that for A and LINK.
(i.e., NAME should be obsoleted, but accepted as a synomym for ID in
old markup which used NAME, as was the case in the HTML 3.0 draft).
CLASS, STYLE, LANG and DIR are needed for handling of the ALT and TITLE
attributes.

	Also, MAP should have a TITLE attribute, so you don't have to
pass it from every IMG or OBJECT which uses the MAP (e.g., if you have
MAPs collected into a distinct document), and %i18n for handling that
TITLE when used for a textual presentation of links because image

				Fote