RE: The Netscape / Microsoft / Future Quagmire

On Thu, 17 Oct 1996, Jason O'Brien wrote:
[snip]
> right now, I recommend and design my pages
> primarily for MSIE 3.0, because of its advanced features, support of the
> OBJECT tag, BGSOUND, and better use and installation of plug-ins, among
> many other features.
[snip]

Bad mistake. You have written off _at least_ 85% of your potential
viewership, right off the top.

I write to a subset of the 3.2 DTD + CSS1 stylesheets. My documents reach
over 98% of people (I use JPEGs and TABLEs - else it would be 99.9%+ -
lynx really needs to implement TABLE...). Do my pages look *best* on NS3.0
and MSIE 3.0?  Damn straight they do. Do I annoy people uselessly with
'get NS/MSIE 3.0' buttons and 'Looks better in browser of the week'
labels? Not on your life. The people who *have* those browsers already
know it looks nice in them. Those who have other browsers are not going to
switch just because I say so - why annoy them?  The pages are usable (even
attractive) in nearly any browser.

--
Benjamin Franz