Re: Tag proposal

On Fri, 8 Mar 1996, Zenon Panoussis wrote:

> The trouble with links is that they can take you anywhere, and you never
> know
> beforehand where that will be. What hides behind a link can be the final
> answer to the main question, or a silly connection to somebody's silly
> home
> page. You never know beforehand.

This is very true.  As it turns out, there already has been a mechanism
to do what you want, and it's existed for a long time.  It's not called
ANG, though; you use the attributes REL and REV on anchor tags (A and LINK)
to specify link relationships.  Specifically, REL gives the relationship
of the target to the anchor, and REV gives the reverse relationship (of
the anchor to the target).

Murray Maloney has written a discussion paper suggesting standard values
for these attributes, which you'd probably want to look at.  The URL is

http://ogopogo.nttc.edu/tools/html/mmaloney_links.html

Now all we have to do is convince more browser manufacturers to make use
of this information in their products.

Ping (Ka-Ping Yee):  3A Computer Engineering, University of Waterloo, Canada
kryee@csclub.uwaterloo.ca, St. Paul's College, Waterloo N2L 3G5, 519 7258008
CWSF 89 90 92; LIYSF 90 91; Shad Valley 92; DOE 93; IMO 91 93; ACMICPC 94 96