Re: <A> content model in Cougar

In article <v03007803ae20821ce07a@[205.149.180.135]>,
Walter Ian Kaye <boo@best.com> wrote:
> At 9:10p +0200 07/27/96, Arnoud "Galactus" Engelfriet wrote:
> >I think that since A is regarded as text-level markup, the heading would
> >terminate the current block element, and the anchor inside it as well.
> >IOW, A *can't* contain headers.
>
> Hmm. I would think that *any* displayed text/heading/image is a
> candidate for a hyperlink target or anchor. And since <A> is wrapped

Well, that depends on how you see hyperlinks. In my opinion, an
anchor links a certain phrase of text to a new document. This phrase
can contain an inline image, of course. This explains why A is defined
with a content of %text.

How exactly would you link a header? If <A HREF="foo"><H1>Hello</H1></A>
would be identical to <H1><A HREF="foo">Hello</A></H1>, then why allow
the first construct at all?

> around non-containers, it should be wrappable around containers (such
> as headings) as well. Is there some reason someone decided it shouldn't
> be? I'd like to know the reason...

Me too, so to speak. :-)

Galactus

--
To find out more about PGP, send mail with HELP PGP in the SUBJECT line to me.
E-mail: galactus@stack.urc.tue.nl - Please PGP encrypt your mail if you can.