Re: Acronym for Cougar? -Reply

(I sent this accidently only to Mark earlier this morning)

>>> Marc Salomon <marc@ckm.ucsf.edu> 07/19/96 11:07am >>>
>
>What about doing it in <SPAN CLASS="ACRONYM">HTML</SPAN> this
>way, <SPAN
>CLASS="PAUTHOR">Dave Raggett</SPAN> of the <SPAN
>CLASS="IAUTHOR">W3C<SPAN>?

This brings up an interesting question: what need is
there for new tags when we have stylesheets and span?

Personally, I think that it would be easier for all
of us if those classes that are very commonly used
become tags. It's a lot shorter to write <acronym> than
and it makes the author's intent easier to decipher.

>This approach would have win if carefully crafted for cases where
>span classes and metadata elements coincide.

What do you mean by "metadata elements"?

>Fight Tagitis!

I agree with not creating tags for formatting purposes,
but I like the idea of markup for content.  I think that
HTML would be a poor language with only <P>, <div>, <object>,
and <span> within <body>.