Re: True quotes

Walter Ian Kaye wrote:

> At 4:32a -0700 07/18/96, David Perrell wrote:
> >How do I legitimately get true typographic opening and closing quotes,
> >both single and double?
> >
> >I say legitimately because I can get them on the Windows platform with the
> >non-ISO codes of ‘, ’, “, and #148;. But I suspect these
> >codes will not produce the desired characters on other platforms.
>
> Don't EVER use codes like that -- they are totally invalid/illegal/evil.
> Such codes do not, and will not ever, exist in HTML. Period.

[ ... ]

> Eventually you'll be able to use the Unicode equivalents (which you can find
> at <http://www.natural-innovations.com/boo/doc-charset.html>), but in the
> meantime, you could do what I do on my "AppleScript Snippets" page -- use
> one of Netscape's supported charsets. There are docs on Netscape's site, and
> you can view source on my page ( /boo/as-snippets.html ) to see the META tag.
> BTW, MSIE does not support this META tag, so you'd have to require Netscape
> for accurate rendering.

I don't get this. First you say you shouldn't use &#145; and friends - it
is platform specific. But useage of a browser specific is a solution??

I've always failed to see the problem with quotes. I've been using ' ` and "
for 20 years or so, and anyone always understood what I meant.

Abigail