Re: True quotes

At 4:32a -0700 07/18/96, David Perrell wrote:
>How do I legitimately get true typographic opening and closing quotes,
>both single and double?
>
>I say legitimately because I can get them on the Windows platform with the
>non-ISO codes of ‘, ’, “, and #148;. But I suspect these
>codes will not produce the desired characters on other platforms.

Don't EVER use codes like that -- they are totally invalid/illegal/evil.
Such codes do not, and will not ever, exist in HTML. Period.

>Theoretically, I can get them using the ISO numbers for single quotes and
>doubling them. But both Navigator and Explorer display the ASCII keyboard
>characters for ' (') and ` ( `), which are not the same as the
>typographic characters.

Right -- they look quite horribly ugly, too. <puke style=shudder>

>Have there been no requests for named entities for quoteleft, quoteright,
>quotedblleft and quotedblright? With font face and size specification
>becoming standard, these characters are sorely needed.

Eventually you'll be able to use the Unicode equivalents (which you can find
at <http://www.natural-innovations.com/boo/doc-charset.html>), but in the
meantime, you could do what I do on my "AppleScript Snippets" page -- use
one of Netscape's supported charsets. There are docs on Netscape's site, and
you can view source on my page ( /boo/as-snippets.html ) to see the META tag.
BTW, MSIE does not support this META tag, so you'd have to require Netscape
for accurate rendering.