Re: Resizing images relative to window size

On Wed, 3 Jul 1996, Walter Ian Kaye wrote:

> At 1:39a +0100 07/03/96, James Aylett wrote about scaling images.
>
> Unfortunately, this doesn't work well for bitmap images (Chris Lilley
> has a page which goes into detail about image scaling). We really need
> SVF or something like it (hopefully supporting antialiasing), since
> vector graphics scale better than bitmap graphics (understatement!).
> Anyone know what's going on with that?

How about having the browser have the option to fire up an external
program for scaling/reducing colours or whatever you want which you can
configure to your favourite utility? Then it would essentially work in the
way Lynx does - passes the image to xv or whatever, and so gives much
better output. In fact, if you could say on which occasions you wanted the
external program to be used if you were on a fast system you could always
use the external program and so you'd get far better image quality. This
method, without quite the configurability I've mentioned, is already
available on more than one browser ... but not, it seems, on the big
players.

James

  James Aylett - Crystal Services (crystal.clare.cam.ac.uk): BBS, Ftp and Web
     Clare College, Cambridge, CB2 1TL -- sja20@cam.ac.uk -- (0976) 212023