Re: International chars in HTML files

On Mon, 15 Jan 1996 15:39:13 -0500 (EST), murray@sq.com wrote:

>Frederic Naud asks:
>>         I would appreciate if someone could tell me what is currently the
>> norm for internatinal chars. on the WWW.  Do we still have to type the codes
>> (é for an =E9) or can we type the character in the HTML file.
>> With all the browsers I tried, the é is useless since the software
>> recognised the characters (=E9).
>>
>The é is not useless, it is simply redundant if you have
>the ability to enter the character directly.  The use of named
>character entity is for those who do not have the ability to
>key the character.

I don't believe that is accurate.  As the quoted post from Frederic
shows, simply entering the character (if you can key it) doesn't allow
for the character to be remapped if needed.  The notation (é) is
a unique character name, which may or may not be the equivalent
character in ASCII.

Frederic, could you point us to a demo page where you have used -both-
notation styles?  I think we're looking at a quirk of trying to be both
international and platform independent.

Forgive me if I have overlooked the systems where &eacute is the same as
Fredric's quoted '=E9', which appeared here (with no dot spacers) as
'=.E.9'.  Please correct me off list if I'm just dense.

Dave
darsal@tezcat.com