Re: Wish List for New Spec

In message <279.9601021050@afs.mcc.ac.uk>, lilley writes:
>Robert Hazeltine wrote:
>
>> 1.  A reaonable means of adequately identifying a text document giving it a
>> "front page" (meta information seems to be the best canditate);
>
>Does that mean the META element fulfills your requirements, or not?

A zillion times a day, I copy the URL, title, last modification date,
and author -- a citation -- from one document to another. Very manually
intensive. There's got to be a better way! We need richer semantics
in HTML (and authoring tools that handle them.)

on meta in general, I've collected my thoughts at:

Web Catalogs, Citations, Abstracts, and Knowledge Bases
http://www.w3.org/team/WWW/Addressing/citations
last update by $Author: connolly $ on $Date: 1996/01/04 07:12:41 $

>> 2.  A way of expressing formula and mathematical information within HTML
>> documents;
>
>Yes! Plus, the preservation of some semantics - the LaTeX method of
>describing pictures of equations is only slightly more useful than
>the current HTML method of GIF/XBM pictures of equations.

absolutely. The web is about knowledge exchange, not just broadcasting.
(that's one of my new "What I think"s on my homepage). See:

Knowledge Capture and Exchange
http://www.w3.org/team/WWW/Collaboration/knowledge.html
last update by $Author: connolly $ on $Date: 1996/01/04 07:06:35 $

>Something that could be drag-and-dropped into say Maple, Mathematica etc
>would be handy. It was interesting that Wolfram Research, makers of
>Mathematica, were exhibiting at WWW4 in Boston last month.

In fact, I've seen very promising demos of mathematica/HTML interoperability.
Stay tuned to:

http://www.w3.org/team/WWW/MarkUp/Math

>> 4.  Some resolution of URC.
>
>;-) I think that is scheduled right after world peace and global disarmament..

Again, please see:

Web Catalogs, Citations, Abstracts, and Knowledge Bases
http://www.w3.org/team/WWW/Addressing/citations
last update by $Author: connolly $ on $Date: 1996/01/04 07:12:41 $

Dan