Re: Unicode and IPA

[I was thinking of sending this privately, but message traffic isn't that
heavy today.]

Stavros Macrakis <macrakis@osf.org> writes:
>I said:
>
>> > Unicode has always covered IPA...
>
>> So why don't any of the linguists I know actually use it?  They
>> all know that Unicode exists and have access to 16 bit X fonts...
>
>I have no idea.  I would guess because their software doesn't support
>Unicode.  Anyway, this discussion really doesn't belong on www-html.

I kinda thought Glenn would chime in, being the Technical Director for the
Unicode Consortium, but he may not be in today. Glenn's background is in
linguistics, and (as an example) Stonehand _does_ have an HTML viewer that
supports Unicode.

I wouldn't rule out use of Unicode only because a select group of linguists
(those you know) don't _currently_ use it. And I think wider implementation
of Unicode is only around the corner...

Remember when gopher, ftp and email were the predominant traffic on the
Internet? Things change, and sometimes pretty quickly...

Murray

      Murray M. Altheim, Information Systems Analyst
      National Technology Transfer Center, Wheeling, West Virginia
      email: murray.altheim@nttc.edu
      www:   http://ogopogo.nttc.edu/people/maltheim/maltheim.html