Re: help with frames

At 09:35 AM 2/10/96 -0800, you wrote:
>Mark Stettler wrote:
>>
>>Lets say that I have two frames (we'll call them A and B) that are
>>oriented side by side. Frame A is the menu frame and the TARGET output
>>is Frame B. The HTML Pages that are called up into Frame B (from my
>>directory) have links to other sites. When I click on one of those
>>links, it puts the site Home Page into Frame B. What I want to know is:
>>How would I set up a "back" pointer so that it goes back to my last HTML
>>page that was in frame B? By the way, frame B could have any one of a
>>number of my HTML pages in it that called up the remote HTML page!
>>

>David Perrell wrote:
>
>Do you really need to put the link into a frame? If you use TARGET="_top"
>for your HREFs, the link fills the window and the browser's Back button gets
>you back to where you were.
>
>You could create a separate framesetting document for each link, so that
>instead of HREFing the remote document directly, you'd call the framesetting
>document with TARGET="_top". Each of these intermediate framesetting
>documents would recreate the menu as frame A and put the appropriate link
>into frame B. There would be no need for a NOFRAMES section so the files
>would be small. Again, the browser's back button would work as expected.

The only problem with this approach is that your entire page would reload
which would not be the best looking option, it could also be overly
complicated depending on how many pages you want to implement this on and
the nested level of frames you have.  We have succesfully implemented Java
to do this and multiple frame loads.

Mark

Mark Owen      --   mark@webmaster.com
408.345.1800   --   http://www.webmaster.com/