Re: Frames and Documents

On Wed, 28 Aug 1996, Steve Knoblock wrote:

> It might solve the problem of bookmarking, but I hope you are not proposing
> that frames cannot load independent files. Of course you could use the
> single page for the initial load (introductory material and cover graphics).
> This would be helpful---presently frames require you to create this kind of
> material if you do not want blank frames on initial load---in gathering the
> introductory material into the same place. On the other hand, perhaps as url
> could be specified for the initial files with url(...).

The main problem is that frames with the current Netscape spec are created
with a frameset document and then contain independant documents. This is
wrong. Technically you should view only one document at a time, and the
various frames are part of that document.

The way to do away with the various problems that TARGETs, bookmarks, titles
etc present is to always have a document as a main document that may create
frames (that either contain part of the same document or other documents).
ALL links refer to what is now known as the _top frame, and if these
documents contain the same or other frames, that's fine. Otherwise they
occupy the whole window, as they should.

Don't forget that there will always be browsers that do not support frames,
and to these browsers the same document must contain the same amount of
information. Hence the information in the various frames has to be in the
same document, only rendered in seperate frames as a matter of presentation.

= Stephanos Piperoglou = stephanos@hol.gr = http://users.hol.gr/~stephanos/ =
  Four lines in a .sig can't say enough about why you should visit my page!
"I want peace on earth and good will toward man"
"We're the United States Government, we don't do that sort of thing!"
                                    [ from the film "Sneakers" ]

                                                       ...oof porothika! (tm)