irc: [was: New URN suggestion ]

In message <32157D30.656A@wildstar.net>, Mandar Mirashi writes:
>Anyway, IRC developers/users would like the formal specification
>of a URN of the format  irc://   The suggested URL format would
>be:
>
>irc://server/#channelname
>
>With the integration of chat, several different companies now
>use non standard extensions or plugins for irc clients. We'd
>like to formalize this URL in the same manner as  news://
>mail:// and ftp://

You're not the first to need this. It's written up in the
PICS specs:

============
http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/PICS/services.html

URL is as defined in RFC-1738 for URLs. In addition,
   PICS defines the following new form for referencing
   Internet Relay Chat (IRC) rooms:
   URL :: ... | 'irc://' host '/' alphanumpm
       (where host is the usual Internet hostname)

============

The channel name shouldn't go after #: that's for client-side
stuff.

If you'd write this up as a stand-alone draft, I'd appreciate
it! It needn't be long. See, for example, Larry's data:
scheme:

	ftp://ietf.cnri.reston.va.us/internet-drafts/draft-masinter-url-data-01.txt

>   I'm not sure if this is the right mailing list to send this to.

Actually, this is an HTML mailing list. Can I ask how you found out
about www-html without finding out about www-talk, uri@bunip.com, or
the other relavent mailing lists?

For mailing lists relavent to URLs, please see:

	Addressing: How do I get Involved?
	http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/Addressing/#discussion

I copied www-talk and the uri mailing list.

>Please let me know which committee handles new URL suggestions.

There used to be a Uniform Resource Identifer working group in
the IETF. It has closed, but the mailing list still exists
(uri@bunip.com

I keep track of URL schemes at:

http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/Addressing/schemes.html

I think Larry Masinter is working on updated URL specs. Stay
tuned!

Dan