Re: deprecated tags in Wilbur & Cougar -Reply

>In article <1.5.4.32.19960801134613.00748d04@csclub.uwaterloo.ca>,
>Paul Prescod <papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
>> At 12:32 PM 8/1/96 +0200, Arnoud "Galactus" Engelfriet wrote:
>> >It's similar to using <SPAN CLASS=phonenumber> and then specifying how
>> >it should be displayed in the style sheet, rather than having a standard
>> ><PHONE> element, which the browser can display/render/dial/stuff-in-a-
>> >phone-book any way it likes.
>>
>> It doesn't really matter whether you do it in CLASS or with an element. The
>> important thing is that it be _standardized_. We should standardize CLASS
>> sets just as we standardize entity and elemenet sets.
>
>That would only partially solve the problem. By putting information
>about the *contents* of marked-up text in a style sheet, you're
>actually lessening the power HTML can offer.
>
>Style sheets are for layout.
>HTML elements are for contents.

I agree that HTML elements are for STRUCTURE of the document contents.
I hope it is clear that we don't need/want a new tag for each new ROLE
that some part of a document plays in the document as a whole.

(Heaven forbid that lawyers create new tags for every type of information
in a legal document!  <PLAINTIFF>, <CASENUMBER>, <UNDERPAID_PUBLIC_DEFENDER>,
<CELEBRITY_$$_DEFENDANT>, ... :-)

The tags would explode exponentially as EVERY field that has it's own
types of information in a document would be creating new tags.

There are SOME relatively universal document structures, and significant
roles that need their own tags.  Some, like <B>, <I>, (and perhaps <U> which
started this whole thread) must continue for a long time for backward
compability.

Using tags such as DIV and SPAN with CLASS attributes does not preclude
indexers from using the CLASS info to build smart indices.  There
could/should be some "standard" CLASSes that are defined a-priori (e.g. your
"phonenumber" class from above).  Otherwise, let each field define their own
standard classes for their documents and define a standard style sheet for
the "default" rendering of those documents.  The proliferation of tags will
slow to a crawl (hopefully) and the "my browser has the <FOO> tag and yours
doesn't" wars (akin to the playground "my dad can beat-up your dad"
arguments) will be silenced.

Matt
--
Matt Heffron                      heffron@falstaff.css.beckman.com
Beckman Instruments, Inc.         voice: (714) 961-3128