Re: Render EM as underline [was: deprecated tags in Wilbur & Cougar] (fwd)

In article <ae26722601021004d0e7@[199.106.6.97]>,
Terje@in-Progress.com (Terje Norderhaug) wrote:
> At 6:26 PM 7/30/96, MegaZone wrote:
> >Never happen.  People expect EM to be italics in all major browsers, I
> >know I would not be alone it screaming my objections if that were even
> >considered.  Besides, people would just start using <I> if that change
> >happened.
>
> I assume you refer to HTML authors when you say "people". Those that would
> be using <EM> with requirements about how it will be rendered is probably
> using <I> anyway. A main feature of an element for describing what is
> emphasized is that you can change the rendering as appropriate.

Well, one possible reason for using EM when you want I is what I
have often heard: People use <I>, get flamed by someone who says
he should use <EM> and <STRONG>, so he replaces all his <I> tags
by <EM>. It shows up the same in Netscape and keeps the purists
quiet, so he gets the best of both worlds.

Galactus

--
To find out more about PGP, send mail with HELP PGP in the SUBJECT line to me.
E-mail: galactus@stack.urc.tue.nl - Please PGP encrypt your mail if you can.