Re: Digressions (was: Footnotes)

Francois Stragier <stragier@email.enst.fr> writes:
>I received some comments about my proposol for footnotes and syntax
>highlighting and discuss these here.

[...]
>Syntax highlighting
>-------------------
>
>T. Joseph W. Lazio said that the LANGUAGE attribute is too close
>from the LANG attribute. In fact I don't believe there could be
>a misunderstanding, because the LANG attribute would be often
>used, whereas the LANGUAGE one is only used in the <CODE> tag.
>Another (bad?) reason, is that I don't see another attribute name :-).

Well, you could turn to other places this issue comes up:

    <STYLE TYPE="text/css">

which is in both the "HTML and Style Sheets" and CSS1 drafts. On talking
with some folks here at Spyglass, we use "NOTATION", as the more formal
SGML term already in use in other places. So, as an example with CODE and
PRE:

    <PRE NOTATION="text/pascal">
      NumToStr(paramPtr, theID, IDStr);
      NumToStr(paramPtr, SizeResource(theResource), sizeStr);
      BlockMove(@theType, POINTER(ORD4(@typeStr)+1), 4);
    </PRE>

or

   The value <CODE NOTATION="text/pascal">paramPtr^.returnValue</CODE>
   gets blah blah, etc.

Using NOTATION seems probably be the most appropriate, at least for
consistency with other SGML applications. I would certainly agree with
those recommending against LANGUAGE (as confused with LANG).

Murray

     Murray Altheim, Program Manager
     Spyglass, Inc., Cambridge, Massachusetts
     email: <mailto:murray@spyglass.com>
     http:  <http://www.stonehand.com/murray/murray.html>