Re: Inline macros

David Ornstein <davido@objarts.com> wrote:
>At 01:42 AM 4/26/96 -0400, Bill Cheng wrote:
>>Isn't there some way where one can do something like (may be add to the
>>SCRIPT spec):
>>
>>    <SCRIPT ... Content-encoding="hblb">
>>        273a84702f387c428d375eb0935...
>>    </SCRIPT>
>>
>>Where "hblb" can be the good-old "high-byte-low-byte" encoding (I don't know
>>what's the official name for it...  I would call it BinHex, but that name
>>is already taken to mean something very specific).  Since the only allowed
>>characters in that encoding is [0-9][a-f][A-F], there's no ambiguity where
>>data starts and where data ends.  The data will take up twice the space,
>>though.  It also breaks old browsers, but so does the perl example mentioned
>>a few postings earlier.
>
>My purpose in this was to be able to embed a human-readable script (say a
>PERL script) on the page.  Encoding it doesn't help me...  Using URIs is OK,
>but if one is authoring a page and wants a small fragment of code, putting
>it in a second (or third or fourth!) file is a pain.

What I mean is to use "Content-encoding" in the same way as in HTTP
(e.g., "Content-encoding: x-gzip").  Therefore, a user agent should
display decoded information.
--
Bill Cheng // Guest at Columbia Unversity Computer Science Department
william@cs.columbia.edu <URL:http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~william>