Re: Inline macros

At 04:48 PM 4/25/96 -0400, Paul Prescod wrote:
>At 01:40 PM 4/25/96 -0700, David Ornstein wrote:
>>Is there some literal introduction character we could use (back tick or
>>something) that would allow the lexer to simply gobble this stuff up into
>>one big binary chunk?  This would allow something like:
>>
>><mimesection type=txt/x-funk>
>>`%my(funcky, macro);
>>more stuff in the funk language`
>></mimesection>
>
>You are both trying to reinvent SGML marked CDATA sections. There is no need
>to reinvent it. It does exactly what you are suggesting. Most SGMLers
>consider it a Bad Idea to mix SGML and non-SGML data in the same file, but
>if you want to do it, SGML already allows it.

I'll buy that, but help me here...  How would you use marked sections to
specify the above?  I understand that they deal with possible embedding of
most characters in the stream, but what about places where mdc (']') occurs
in the marked section's CDATA?

I assume you're suggesting that there are two problems here -- one is how to
identify a chunk of stuff as a big, long, uninterpreted object and the other
is how to describe that chunk.  And you're saying that marked sections are
the answer to the first.  What is the correct(ish) solution for the other
one (that which is solved in my original example with the <mimesection> tag)?

Sorry if I should already know the answers to some of this stuff.  I'm
trying to get more educated, but it's an ocean...