Re: SGML question

In message <9511171624.AA08854@sc1000.az.vub.ac.be>, Rudi Breedenraedt writes:
> I was asking
>myself if the RTF (Rich Text Format) from Microsoft could be considered as an
>application of SGTML.

No, but EBT and friends have design an SGML application that captures
much of the semantics of RTF. See:

	ftp://ftp.ifi.uio.no/pub/SGML/Rainbow/

>SGML stands for Standard Generalized Markup Language and is a system for defin
>ing structured document types.
>
>HTML is an application of SGTML.
>
>So far, OK. My question: are there other applications of SGTML ?

Yes: CALS, DocBook, HTF (the Hyper-G format) and others come
to mind.

Again, a VERY little bit of self-surfing would yeild andswers to this
sort of question. Please, do some background reading before requesting
that other folks answer your questions.

Start at: http://www.w3.org/
Follow "HTML" link to: http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/MarkUp/
Follow "SGML" to: http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/MarkUp/SGML/
Follow "SGML Bibliography" to: http://www.sil.org/sgml/sgml.html

Thar ye find the gold:

13.SGML Projects and Applications
            General Projects and Applications
                  HyTime: ISO 10744 Hypermedia/Time-based
                  Structuring Language
                  SMDL (Standard Music Description Language)
                  ISO/IEC DIS 10743:1995
                  Association of American Publishers (AAP)
                  ISO 12083 DTDs
                  IBMIDDoc: IBM Information Development
                  document type
                  Davenport (DASH, DOCBOOK, OSFBOOK,
                  DECBook)
                  ICADD SGML: International Committee on
                  Accessible Document Design

I'm sure a Yahoo or Lycos search would produce results as well.

Dan