Re: development with out the manual...

From: <mwilliam@cs.utk.edu>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 1995 23:13:07 -0400
To: david@wvb.gomel.by
Cc: WWW-HTML@w3.org
>2) Colors, How do get the "#0000f00" numbers for setting colors, I want to
>change the background colors, but don't have the ability to match anything.
>Is there a formula, or did I have to go to MIT? ;)

Well, you have to understand the hexadecimal number system and basic
color principles.  Each color specifier is three two-digit hexadecimal
numbers.  They represent, in order, the intensity of red, green, and
blue light in the color.  FF is full intensity, and 00 is none.  For
example, #000000 is black, #FFFFFF is white, and #FF0000 is pure red.
#808080 is gray and #808000 is a half-intensity yellow.  The
ability to pick the primary colors out of a mix comes with practice.

BTW, never use #FFFFFF as a text color in a Netscape document.  There is a
bug in the windows version that will make the text invisible.  You should
use #FEFEFE instead.

Myles Williams