html precepts

From: 869683 Gillespie Brandon James <brandon@smithfield.declab.usu.edu>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 1995 15:27:25 -0600
To: www-html@w3.org
I am writing up (yet another) style guide for Utah State University
(where I am webmaster).  Recently somebody outlined what they felt
were the "precepts" or "considerations" used with the design of HTML.
Unfortunately, I have forgotten these and cannot seem to reconstruct
a statisfiable set myself.

What I am asking is what is the basic "theology" ;) behind HTML?

(i.e. netscape enhancements are bad because they break these precepts)

-Brandon Gillespie, USU WebMaster-