FW: XP> Relaxing XHTML-Print's restriction to UTF-8 to include UT F-16

From: don@lexmark.com [mailto:don@lexmark.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 02, 2003 6:06 PM
To: BIGELOW,JIM (HP-Boise,ex1)
Cc: xp@pwg.org
Subject: Re: XP> Relaxing XHTML-Print's restriction to UTF-8 to include
UTF-16

Jim:

I would disagree.  I don't believe that all XHTML-Print enabled printers
will necessarily bite the bullet and include a complete XML parser that
requires support for UTF-16.  I don't believe we should force that to occur.
Perhaps you should remind the group that XHTML-Print is target for LOW-END
printers with this embedded.  No 3 gigahertz Pentium 4's with 512 MB of
memory!!!

Don Wright                 don@lexmark.com

Chair,  IEEE SA Standards Board
Member, IEEE-ISTO Board of Directors