Re: Confused about DTD

Eric Johnson <eric@tibco.com> wrote:

> I have been looking at the "strict.dtd" file posted with the HTML 4.0.1
> specification.

I suppose you are referring to HTML 4.01.

> Oddly enough, this DTD file is riddled with syntax
> errors, according to two different parsers that I have asked, and my
> reading of the specification.  I looked in the errata and did not see
> anything to indicate that this was a known problem.  Am I missing something?

It would be helpful if you could be more specific which parsers you
used and what kind of errors they reported.  Typical misunderstanding
is to try to parse HTML DTDs with XML parsers.   HTML DTDs are SGML
DTDs and those are not compatible with XML DTDs, thus those are
guaranteed to fail.

Regards,
--
Masayasu Ishikawa / mimasa@w3.org