Re: Error (?) in xhtml-arch-1.mod

Gary Bentley <gb@opengroup.org> wrote:

> You say that the architecture module should be ingored by default however I
> am not able to find this in the DTDs, if you consider the following DTD chain:
>
> xhtml-basic10.dtd
>
> includes:
>
> xhtml-framework-1.mod
>
> which then has a conditional item to pull in the xhtml-arch-1.mod
> DTD, the condition for this is keyed on "xhtml-arch.module" which is defined
> in xhtml-framework-1.mod as "INCLUDE", I can't find overriding reference for
> xhtml-arch.module in any of the "higher" DTDs.
>
> So the question is, where is this default defined?

That's the place there the default value is defined.  And
unfortunately, the XHTML Modular Framework Module included in
the XHTML Basic distribution had a bug to "INCLUDE" it by
default.  The XHTML Modular Framework Module included in the
"Modularization of XHTML" Recommendation [3] fixed this bug.

> Unfortunately I am not able to override the DTD, i.e. write my own since for
> the application I am writing I HAVE to use the W3C version.

Another workaround is to include the following line

   <!ENTITY % xhtml-arch.module "IGNORE" >

in an internal DTD subset of your document.

> Also, does anyone know of an expanded version of the XHTML Basic DTD, i.e.
> one that has all the other DTDs pulled in and resolved, this would be very
> useful when checking the validity of the markup I am writing.

It's available at:

    http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-basic/xhtml-basic10-f.dtd

> > [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml#NT-PITarget
> > [2] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml-names/#Conformance