Re: minor comments for PR-xhtml-basic-20001103

Susan Lesch wrote:

> Congratulations on your XHTML Basic Proposed
> Recommendation [1]. Here are two minor comments.
>
> In the Abstract, Host Language -> host language
> [or else use caps in 1.2, and 4. Modularization
> of XHTML didn't seem quite clear on this either.]
>
> In clause 1.1:
>      HTML 4 was designed for large devices, overlapping
>      windows/frames menus, mouse input pointing device, high
>      powered CPU, large power supply.
> This switches from plural to singular. How about:
>      HTML 4 was designed for large devices, overlapping
>      windows/frames menus, mouse input pointing devices, high
>      powered CPUs, and large power supplies.

Hi Mimasa,

I think that it's not accurate to say that "HTML was designed
for large devices, high powered CPUs, and large power supplies."
I don't ever remember having a discussion where those were
design considerations.

I believe that it is more accurate to say that the
designers of HTML 4 did not take into account issues such
as the cost of implementation (in power, memory, etc.)
of the full feature set of HTML 4 for small devices.
XHTML Basic allows consumer devices with limited
resources to implement smaller sets of HTML 4 features
(as xhtml) and still be able to claim conformance.

 - Ian

> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/PR-xhtml-basic-20001103/

Tel:                         +1 831 457-2842
Cell:                        +1 917 450-8783