Re: The Problem With <NOSCRIPT>

How True...
 ----
From: Rev. Bob <rev-bob@full-moon.com>
To: hwg-newtech@hwg.org; hwg-html@hwg.org; www-html-editor@w3.org
Date: Tuesday, July 15, 1997 04:52
Subject: The Problem With <NOSCRIPT>

Has anyone else noticed the fundamental flaw in the <NOSCRIPT> tag as
currently implemented?  Consider the following page (sans DOCTYPE):

<snip>

The HTML 4.0 draft specification only makes matters worse.  It
depreciates the use of the LANGUAGE attribute for <SCRIPT> in favor of
the TYPE attribute.  Y'know, JavaScript 1.0, 1.1, and 1.2 ALL share the
"text/jss" MIME type!  THIS DOES NOT HELP.

Here's what I propose.  Before the LANGUAGE attribute can be
depreciated, it needs a replacement that will adequately substitute for
the information that it provides.  To that end, I propose allowing the
<NOSCRIPT> tag to take the TYPE attribute, as well as developing a new
VER (version) attribute that would apply to both <SCRIPT> and
<NOSCRIPT>.
==================
Yes, that's workable I believe.  Yet in a multi-scripting environment it may
prove messy - maybe?  If NOSCRIPT was by definition associated with SCRIPT
(aliken this to FRAMESET/NOFRAMES) then a disassociated pair matching need not
take place...

<title>Document Title</title>
<script [who_cares]>Boogedy!<br>
<noscript>
uh... I'm confused...
</noscript>
</script>
End of text.

In this model, there is no need to match attr pairs

Anyone see any holes here?

Further - in XML it would be possible to "point" all NOSCRIPTs to one place.
Think the same is almost true with CSS... need to think about that one tho'.

Russ Thomas