RE: proposal for new submission replace mode 'new'

Hi Joern,

First of all I'm happy that you can live with the target attribute.

One of the reasons to go with a target attribute is: That we can leave the value space of the replace attribute as is ("all"|"instance"|"text"|"none" | QNameButNotNCName), and define value space of the new target attribute as host-language dependent.

This will make it possible to align the attribute, when XForms is using XHTML as host language, to be fully compatible with the target attribute defined in that host language (if we were re-using the replace attribute we would have needed to define a naming schema that allowed the current values and targeting a new window, parent frame, other name frame, other 'window',...).

It is also the case that the default value for the replace attribute is 'all' so the author can omit the attribute when using the target attribute. An implementation can as always log a warning when the target attribute is used and replace is not 'all'.

Regards,

Nick Van den Bleeken
R&D Manager

Phone: +32 3 821 01 70