Re: New XPath extension function called xslt(), versus XSLT as an action

One of the challenges we have with making the xslt transformation
available via a function, rather than an action, is that functions can be
called in XPaths that are in places where we expected the XForms
processing model to keep up with "dependencies" and automatically update

For this reason, we generally expect that extension XPath functions will
act like all other XPath functions in that they generally operate over
their parameters and produce results such that we can track whether or not
the function must be called again by looking only at nodes used to produce
their parameters and nodes returned by the function, in the case of a
nodeset result.

Granted, a code implementation can technically do whatever it wants,
access whatever it wants, etc., but true *functions* don't do that, i.e.
the definition of a function is one where we say that a result is a
function of such and such parameters.  We have a couple of functions, like
now() and random(), that we just accept won't be called repeatedly except
functions and indeed we have caught flak for them in last call review
because they aren't real functions.

This xslt transformation as a function is the same in spades.  It is
better as an action because it is easier to say that it happens at a
moment in time in response to external events.

Your case of using it in conjunction with an output is really no different
than using it in with a submission.  It is *easier* to just call a
function in a @ref or @value attribute, but it is still possible to call
an action that produces the XSLT result into a node of data and then bind
call upon that data node in an @ref or @value.

By comparison, with xslt() as a function, there is no realistic way to
determine when to invoke the function again when something changes that
would correspond to a change of the xslt ouptut.  On the one hand, we
could just "live with it" as we do for now() and random(), but on the
other hand those two functions are very obvious in their need to be
surrounded by external conditions, whereas form authors might more
reasonably expect the xslt() function to track dependencies, and our
functions just don't do that.  Still, the form authors won't understand or
necessarily find it reasonable, at which point we still get flak for a
language feature (an xslt() function) that does not work very well in
combination with other language features (like automatic updates of
display based on UI bindings, or automatic recalculation if xslt were
called in a bind calculate).

For what it's worth, the working group did discuss this issue further at
the last telecon, and we also have it on the agenda for next week to make
some kind of decision about whether xslt() as a function is a good thing
or a bad thing, and if it is a good thing, then what limitations or advice
can we give to help mitigate confusion in the form author community over
what is supposed to work and what is not supposed to work.  E.g. if we can
characterize what is not supposed to work and make it cause an exception,
then it avoids things sometimes working and sometimes breaking and the
form author not understanding why it isn't always working.  The downside
of this idea is that I would have thought calling xslt() from a UI binding
(like @value) would be one of those places where we would have called for
an xforms-binding-exception.  So, obviously, it's all still up in the air.

Cheers,
John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
STSM, Lotus Forms
IBM Victoria Software Lab