Re: [whatwg] Comparison of XForms-Tiny and WF2

Hi Dean,

WF2 was considered harmful to XForms because it was developed without
consideration of the use cases, intentions, architecture and methodologies
of XForms.  The W3C process of delegating work that overlaps a working
group to that working group and having new interested parties participate
in that working group exists precisely to prevent this from happening.

A subset of XForms Tiny (which is only in formative stages now) is
informed by and therefore similar to a subset of WF2.  They look similar
to you because you have looked at a subset AND because the XForms group is
trying in good faith to use WF2 as input to the process.  So, I would take
your assessment to be a positive affirmation that the effort is succeeding
at taking input from WF2.

XForms Tiny does differ from WF2 in some areas, like repetition and
submission.  In these cases, we look at the WF2 approach as being the
expression of a requirement for a simpler syntax.  So if we come up with a
simpler syntax that we can happen to rationalize with the existing XForms
architecture, then we meet the WF2 requirement while simultaneously
providing a migration path to richer, more dynamic capabilities of full
XForms.

Finally, note that the XForms Tiny work to date is a proof of concept, so
the technical details will change further as the work proceeds.  For
example, if there is no way to map a feature of XForms Tiny into XForms
full, then one of tiny or full will be changed.  The expected result is a
single framework for web forms development in which the feature set of
XForms can be incrementally consumed by authors as their needs dictate.

John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
STSM: Workplace Forms Architect and Researcher
Co-Chair, W3C Forms Working Group
IBM Victoria Software Lab
E-Mail: boyerj@ca.ibm.com  http://www.ibm.com/software/

Dean Jackson <dino@w3.org>
Sent by: www-forms-request@w3.org
02/04/2007 06:23 AM

Matthew Raymond <mattraymond@earthlink.net>
cc
"Klotz, Leigh" <Leigh.Klotz@xerox.com>, WHAT WG List <whatwg@whatwg.org>,
www-forms@w3.org, public-appformats@w3.org
Subject
Re: [whatwg] Comparison of XForms-Tiny and WF2

Apologies for the top post, but I have been wondering the same things
as Matthew. As far as I can tell, XForms Tiny is very similar to Web
Forms 2.0, yet Web Forms 2.0 was labeled as dangerous to, and
incompatible with, XForms. Can we now assume that WF2 is acceptable
to the XForms community? Why wasn't  XForms Tiny proposed as deltas
to WF2?

Dean