RE: checkbox labels

The key A11Y requirements were to have a clearer connection and the have
a required child element.

The HTML4 label/@for isn't required, is cumbersome because of the unique
ID requirement, and isn't easy to enforce or even test for.
The child element is easily specified, easily tested, and easily
written.

There are cases where it's easily displayed, cases where it could be but
isn't yet (the :caption-side idea from Mikko, which supplanted a request
we were about to make to the CSS WG), and cases where it's hard or
impossible (the case Aaron cites about the label being far away in
cousin-element land but close in screen geography).

For those last hard cases, my opinion is the following.
1. Use xf:*/xf:label.a11y and put the required text there.  It's not
much harder than doing img/@alt.
2. Use decorative text elsewhere on the page as you wish, with a
different CSS class.
3. On desktop media, style a11y not to show and style eyecando to show.
4. On a11y media, do the opposite.

Here's CSS pseudo-code:

@media desktop;
xf|label.a11y { display: none };
.eyecandy { display: inline; }

@media screenreader;
xf|label.a11y {display: inline; }
.eyecandy { display: none; }

I think this meets the A11Y requirements of having the text there, being
verifiable and easy to author, and having the required connection.  It
also frees desktop authors with the big screens from having to gyrate in
order to get something to display far away.  The cost is some duplicated
text in the markup, which is pretty much what img/@alt is.

Comments?

Leigh.