RE: checkbox labels

www-forms-request@w3.org wrote on 02/02/2007 04:06:23 AM:

> I agree, however, that the aim should be to allow the designer to choose
> and specify the location, if possible.

I agree that choice would be best, but mostly to accomodate cultural
differences in a shrinking world.

I don't want to come off as holier-than-thou on this design convention. I
freely confess: in my past, I have located labels on three of the four
compass points around a checkbox - but never (cringe!) *under* a checkbox
;) And we are talking about a *convention* here, not a *commandment*
handed down from on high.

The fact that I have located boolean labels other than on the right
doesn't make it a good idea, though, as *logical* as it might have seemed
at the time. Many of us programmers place too much weight on logic in our
UI designs, when a little more attention to convention would better serve
our users. I'm trying to reform now :)

Again, I invite you all to try to find even a *single* example, in
commercial grade software, of a boolean label other than on the right. Not
even Lotus Notes violates this design convention (it is probably the only
design convention Notes doesn't violate).

I'll be direct: I will not use any tool that makes it difficult to
implement long-established, widely-held design conventions. This is a
showstopper for me, personally. Yes, I am serious.

I am sure the XForms working group has bigger fish to fry than this. I
understand the notion of priorites. I do hope this is put on the to-do
list to be addressed someday, though.

Happy Friday, to all who reside in a culture where that is a happy thing
:)

Back to lurking,

Kirk