RE: repeats

Hi everybody,

I will try to recap the issues arisen in my previous post about reset and
insert that were partially discussed again in the long Jason thread. What it
is included below it is written without reviewing the spec, so I could
mistake something. My apologies if this happens.

- the reset action requieres to come back to the model state after the
xforms-ready. Therefore, there seems to be a requirement for a processor to
'remember' the initial state of the model(s) already in the spec. This could
be done in different ways and does not need to be a full blown DOM tree copy
of the model(s).

- regarding the long discussed insert issue, this is my opinion. The insert
as per 1.1 works fine. Some performace issues with this solution are
explained below in relation with the reset. The solutions for 1.0 seem
artificial to me and very little declarative and very programmatic. it also
poses some problems already mentioned in the thread. The solution based on
the intial instance state seems like an improvement over the current
situation. The details related to nested repeats and prepolulated instances
should be worked out before arriving to any conclusion. BTW, DataMovil
implemented this solution since a long time ago, and takes into account
prepopulated instances although since it does not support nested repeats
this issue was not tackled.

- in relation with my proposal to include an instance attribute to the reset
element, I still do think it should be in the spec. The main reason is that
the insert solution poses memory problems: instance data tends to be large
in actual form applications (actually larger than the control part). If an
instance needs to de duplicated to reset it to the the initial state, this
cannot be achievable for resource constraint devices. Optimized recollection
of the initial state is more feasible. Another reason is that to reset the
instance is declarative while the insertion is more programmatic. The issues
around ids, and defaulting should be worked out but I do not see much of a
problem there. I do not see any specific issue in the instances
inconsistencies mentioned by someone. Since 'my' reset can be achieved by
other means, in any case, they are common to the process model in Xforms in
general.

My last point is that we, as a group, should be sensitive to resource
constraint devices issues as long as they do not jeopardize the
functionalities for the desktop. Take into account that for every desktop,
there are ten mobile devices in the world. It is up to the IT industries to
make data applications happened in that environment.

Best regards,

Rafael

  _____