Re: XForms - Submission on multiple instances?

Hi Lee,

What I'm trying to say is that xforms-submit-done *is* definitely the
event you are supposed to be able to hook, and that it isn't working for
you is a bug in an implementation that should be reported.

There has been some discussion about the fact that XForms 1.0 specifies
the default processing behavior of xforms-submit in such a way as to
support *synchronous* operations, whereas many implementors want to
implement asynchronous operations.  However, this issue is orthogonal to
the problem you are having.  Asynchronous submissions simply require that
point 5 of Section 11.1 be changed from being a point in the default
processing of xforms-submit to being simply a statement of what happens
when the asynchronous submission result is obtained.  So, regardless of
synchronous or asynchronous behavior, the material *within* point 5 is the
same, so its instance replacement then
rebuild/recalculate/revalidate/refresh then dispatch xforms-submit-done.

I know this doesn't help with your immediate problem that the
implementation you are using has a bug, but it should at least help you to
help the implementor identify the patch that is needed, and you can at
least be assured that you are writing the form correctly.

There is no event *after* xforms-submit-done that you could reasonably
attach to. There are some really "interesting" things you could do within
your app to work around the problem in a way that should work for all
implementations, but it's really very ugly.

Cheers,
John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
STSM: Workplace Forms Architect and Researcher
Co-Chair, W3C Forms Working Group
IBM Victoria Software Lab
E-Mail: boyerj@ca.ibm.com  http://www.ibm.com/software/

Lee Standen <nom@standen.id.au>
Sent by: www-forms-request@w3.org
10/31/2006 06:03 PM

www-forms@w3.org
cc

Subject
Re: XForms - Submission on multiple instances?

Ok,

Basically, the instance which is being submitted first is making changes
to the database from which instance2 is generated from, so the insert,
update and all associated actions on instance1 need to be complete
before I refresh instance2, otherwise it gets stale data.

xforms-submit-done was the event I was trying, but (i suspect) due to
the inconsistency as far as asynchronous connections go, instance2 is
being refreshed BEFORE the CGI from instance1 has finished making
changes to the database.

Is there any other action which can be trapped that would (be more)
likely to occur after the submission has received a response back from
the server?

Thanks :)

p.s.  I haven't got the original example working yet, as far as I can
tell, but I'll take another crack at it this morning, and debug it
enough to be sure that it is working.