Re: Deploying (accessible) XForms today?

Allan Beaufour ha scritto:

> Since not everybody is using a browser with XForms capabilities, if
> you want to deploy XForms today, server-side transformations might be
> needed. But how about accessibility? I fear that you loose that then?

Very good question, I was wondering why wouldn't this come up considering that one of the main goals of XForms was to improve accessibility, in particular by introducing new markup that was reducing the need for clients to deal with HTML+JS hacks and quirks.

> /me steps aside and hopes for some good answers from the server-side
> crowd :)

Considering that the interpretation commonly given to WCAG1.0-based accessibility laws, at least in italy, is that you cannot provide functionality via script unless same functionality is provided without script too, I wonder how can server-side implementations ever comply, let alone without requiring an insane number of page reloads, thus completely defeating another stated goal of XForms, which was also helping accessibility under another aspect.

Therefore it seems that the following questions are a necessary complement to the one Allan mentioned:

* what is the XForms status of screen-readers and other software required by law for testing accessibility of websites?
* when will national laws be adapted for making anything beyond XHTML1-strict legal?

ciao
ste