Re: OpenOffice.org and web technologies, was: Re: XForms Editor Review

Lars Oppermann ha scritto:
> I think we shouldn't mix up an issue like 'how can we bring OpenOffice
> closer to the web?' with a very spcific issue like XForms support, which
> is in a quite early state.

I disagree. The first step for tackling the big issue is to tackle the specific issue. I don't think we're too early on.

> I would thus like to take this topc to the dev@openoffice.org mailing
> list...

Ack but still disagree, here's why:

> They are. XForms+XHTML is just a bad example to base this discussion on.
> The integration of XForms into OpenOffice.org poses significant
> challenges that are much more fundamental than XHTML+XForms export.

One example of such challenges is: your solution seems to be that people can use XSLT to go back and forth between web based XForms apps and OO based XForms apps.

My argument against it is that it is too little an advancement that we can use a Turing-complete language for getting stuff in and out of our office documents.

It could be argued that we already had that before XML, do we want to say that the advancement is that the language of choice for getting data out of our docs is declarative? That it is "standard"? That we can also use other languages of our choice? That the framework and the licensing model is not controlled by a single company? I think it is wasted time.

Paradoxically, if OO included an app orthogonal to the suite that allowed one to easily customize the XSLT export in and out of OO, while preserving the doc functionality as opposed to only the content then OO could compete.

But it can compete better if it first tackles the easier task of getting an XForms editor for the web to work in that way.

Infopath failed because it wasn't XHTML+XForms based, not because it wasn't a good idea or a real need.

> Bringing OpenOffice closer to the web is an important topic. And I very
> much invite you to share your ideas on that topic with the
> OpenOffice.org community...

I have nothing more to say on OO specific topics if not "the network is the computer" ain't it?

Then why separate between the web and legacy forms?

Why separate between my computer and yours, can't we be separate XForms instances on a shared XForms model?

The semantic web is just around the corner. [1] OO has the fine chance of actively enabling it instead of simply waiting for others to integrate it with it.

Of course our countries' bureaucracies still are in the process of .doc de-addiction, but weren't we the ones who didn't like things to work in that way and that hoped better bureaucracy would mean more freedom?

Which would mean less need for "The One real world office" you need to go to at office times with a printed signed document in your hands, less need for "One-stop computer office" that takes care of everything unless what you want is to share your apps and contents with people who don't even (nor should) feel the need for computer offices. (and neither of operating systems and desktop applications for that matter, but that would perhaps be off-topic)

More need of apps that make you put your doc/app on the web as easily as (or hopefully more than) you can now assume your .doc attachments won't be scraped by the antivirus of the people you are sending them to, that they possess the app for editing it and that they find a way of sending it back "pretty-good-securely" to you.

To be really good, OO must be so good that you might never happen using it because somebody/something has done and does that for you so you are leveraging its full power delivered on the promise: you (or somebody/something) do keep track of your data using office productivity but you never happen to be in an office in front of an office desktop app.

Your computer is then the network.

Isn't this what we want here? Should we discuss it there? I now notice the cross-post so here is already there anyway.

<rhetoric>Maybe the only possible target of their enforcement of trademarks is their own employees? "Don't think/speak this way or I fire you? Don't you see that if we really give what we promise we have a much harder time protecting our brand? Let's keep that restricted to what it's good for (a marketing-only slogan) and go on developing the other way around"</rhetoric>

> I'll post another reply to your very XForms specific remark to www-forms.

Thank you, kind regards.

ciao
ste

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/semantic-web/2006Mar/0060.html