OpenOffice.org and web technologies, was: Re: XForms Editor Review

Stefano,

I think we shouldn't mix up an issue like 'how can we bring OpenOffice
closer to the web?' with a very spcific issue like XForms support, which
is in a quite early state.

I would thus like to take this topc to the dev@openoffice.org mailing
list...

Stefano Debenedetti wrote:
> Lars Oppermann ha scritto:
>> Stefano Debenedetti wrote:
>>
>>> I fail to see how can an office application claim to be a
>>> "productivity" application if it cannot export to the web. (And I
>>>  don't even condider the possibility that an office application
>>> exports in HTML instead than XHTML).
>>>
>> I take that this is a rhetorical remark, and that you do not expect
>> me to explain to you the productive tasks that can be handled with
>> an application like OpenOffice.org without it being able to export
>> XForms+XHTML. This would be off-topic for this list anyway. (BTW,
>> OOo includes an XSLT based XHTML export filter)
>
> It may be off-topic but it was a rhetorical remark much less than
> yours, I don't understand how can businesses and individuals who say:
> "let's NOT use the amazing value in best practices and applications
> under the web umbrella" be the first target of office productivity
> suites being developed now.

They are. XForms+XHTML is just a bad example to base this discussion on.
The integration of XForms into OpenOffice.org poses significant
challenges that are much more fundamental than XHTML+XForms export.

Bringing OpenOffice closer to the web is an important topic. And I very
much invite you to share your ideas on that topic with the
OpenOffice.org community...

I'll post another reply to your very XForms specific remark to www-forms.

All the best,
Lars

> What company doesn't have an intranet? Who doesn't have a blog? Are
> those your primary targets?
>
> I thought your primary targets were companies and users who already
> have office productivity suites (and know how to use them) and have
> intranets and blogs (and love them) and who lose a lot of time
> everyday only because those things aren't integrated (and hate this).
>

> Of course I assume this must be related to why you lead the
> development of an office productivity suite and I don't, but that's
> not the point here, I speak as a user who thinks his use cases should
> be the first OO use cases, of course this opinion may spring out of a
> misleading and incomplete perception but yes I didn't assume you
> wanted to correct my perception.

I do not lead the development of an office productivity suite. I am
responsible for the integration of XForms into OpenOffice.org.

I don't want to go into detail about the rest of your posting. The
general idea that you were expressing was, that the tighter integration
with web technologies is a significant growth path for OpenOffice.org.
With that I wholeheartedly agree. Lets not confuse a very specific issue
(i.e. XForms support) with this more abstract topic.

I don't want to go into further detail on the following.