RE: Select with open selection

Rafael,
With open selections, XForms doesn't define a way to associate a label
with the values.
In http://www.w3.org/TR/xforms/slice8.html#ui-selectMany it says
"The form control should then allow free data entry, as described in
8.1.2 The input Element
<http://www.w3.org/TR/xforms/slice8.html#ui-input> . The form control
may permit multiple values to be entered through free entry."
I believe free data entry means entering the value directly, and if the
my:flavors is an xf:listItems type, then you can enter a space-separated
list of values into the typein area directly.

Your example seems targeted towards allowing the user to enter data into
a shadow-DOM copy of the choices/items for the select, and associating
that with an specific label.
Certainly you can present the select control with a typein area, and
that typein area would have a text node of some sort associated with it
in the display DOM, but that is an implementation detail and shouldn't
be part of the form markup.  This is what "combo-boxes" do.

I was pointing out that for many use cases, the "Google Suggest" or
"Delicious Tags" type presentation is more useful, and its semantics can
be captured with open selection and itemset.

Leigh.