De: www-forms-request@w3.org [mailto:www-forms-request@w3.org] En nombre de
Klotz, Leigh
Enviado el: jueves, 29 de junio de 2006 18:56
Para: Rafael Benito; www-forms@w3.org
Asunto: RE: Select with open selection

Rafael,

I don't think the 1.0 Recommendation requires additional markup in the
choices or itemset to allow the presentation of a direct user-input area.
The only markup necessary is in the select element itself: <select
ref="my:flavors" enumeration="open">...</select>.

I do think that the attribute @enumeration should give your implementation
enough information to know to give the user a choice between the
choices/item and the direct user-input.  How your presentation chooses to
indicate that these are alternatives is up to you.  One mechanism common on
desktop/display/keyboard implementations is the "combo-box".

As an alternative to "combo-boxes," in the past couple of years, a more
flexible presentation has been used in some web sites: instead of using a
pull-down menu, these sites use a type-in field, and use the choices (or
itemset) to provide auto-completion, yet still allow alternate data to be
entered. In HTML4, this requires JavaScript, but in XForms, I believe that
it is just the @enumeration='open' attribute.

Please see my sample at
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-forms/2006May/0122.html>
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-forms/2006May/0122.html and think
about using it to present your select example below (though with
enumeration="open" and no empty value item).

There would be additional markup required in the form itself (events,
another instance, etc.) if you wanted to have the set of available choices
depend on what had been typed in the field so far and change incrementally,
but for your example with its static set of choices, just
@enumeration='open' should be enough.

Thank you,
Leighn.

  _____