RE: Open, edit, save XML file--help or example

Colin,
I don't think FormFaces is going to be able to save to a local file with
a file:// URI, but you can ask on the FormFaces list at SourceForge.
You can do it through a web server if the web server implements PUT; you
probably have to specially enable PUT on the directory you want the
files to be placed in, using your web servers configuration.  It's not
too onerous for apache -- check on the syntax of ".htaccess" files.

You can also change your put to a post and write a small script to save
the data to a file.
Since the data posted is already the XML file, you should just be able
to write it directly to a file.
You still should probably use .htaccess or some other mechanism to
preform authentication first, though!

As for re-ordering, you will need to do that by posting to a script on
the server side and using replace='instance' to get the data back;
XForms 1.0 offers very little for structural modification of the XML
file.  You will find the insert and delete actions, though, which can
operate on repeating structure, so you should be able to add a new dish
at any point in the list.  There's an example of this in the XForms 1.0
Recommendation, tested in X-Smiles, and another one (apparently updated
to work with the pecularities of Mozilla XForms) in
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/XForms/Hierarchical_Bookmarks

Please write back if you have other specific questions.

Leigh.